Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sneakers


Last weekend I had to help my bro with his shopping, more dan just helping him out( coz he didnt have d money and I had a credit card, hope dat provides a clear picture..)

I had already taken a pledge, that I am not getting anything, and that I would be saving some hard coded money ( I am a so called techie..), and so things were seemingly going as expected, bro got a good pair of levi's jeans, woodland shoes, a couple f tees, before my eyes laid upon a slick pair of Nike sneakers, black graphite, with silver spring shox, one enticing pair of sneakers.
I had a strange feeling writhing inside me, but since bro was trying on a pair of trousers , I thought of trying out( just trying out) the sneakers and well it felt betta then it looked, it obviously looked in the 7k range and I had no plans of getting it until the salesman just blurted out dat I cud get it for 2.7 k.
"2,700 you kidding?", I blurted out and he went onto explaining some factory sale fundas and a 70% discount, and well so long for my pledge, the mind games already started,

"My shopper self: Well my sneakers are kinda old now and its time I got new ones.
My thrifty Self: But then what about those Puma shoes.
My shopper self: Oww, those are casuals, they aint sneakers.
Yea, yea, thats right, I need a pair of sneakers, BADLY!!!!!,
My thrifty Self: But what about the pledge, and you could still use your old sneakers, they aint all that ripped apart.
My shopper self: But, dis is a lifetime deal, 70% off.. blah blah blah!!!!"

The next thing I know, I was paying for the shoes.... so long for the mental conflict.. The shopper in me wins, well it wasnt a bad deal after all.

But thinking over the shopping stuff, why do people indulge in shopping, I mean most of the people who shop frequently dont really do it coz of a lack of clothes in their closet, nor coz their clothes have become old, faded or outta fashion, I do agree that if you are a celebrity or a socialite, you do have obligations to have a different look every time, elz you could see yourself in some page 3 gossip shit for an ENCORE, but else its more gotta do with the feel good factor and the look good factor.

I am not sure if you have observed this, but most people I have observed always appeared sanguine in their new jeans or tees or dresses, the higher the expense, the more sanguine they turn out to be, which is demonstrated when the purchase is a mobile phone, bike or a car, trust me most people love to spend money, its a feel good factor, perhaps the materialisation of their hard earned paper notes or plastic( credit cards) into a useful commodity provides that sense of satisfaction or accomplishment.

Or perhaps it has to do with the feel of loooking new, looking betta in the new faded jeans or a nice fitting shirt, the booming economy may have a say in it and the wide range of brands available from the big ones across the globe to our Desi giants, perhaps its the influence of globalistaion or our very own fashion savvy Bollywood stars, people just love the feel of looking new, fashionable more than eva, or in more sophisticated form, find shopping a stress reliever or a good way to kill time.

Whatever be the reasons India sure is in a good mindset to shell their money on what would have been termed as opulence a decade back, whatever be the cause, everybody from the shopper to the shopkeeper, the advertisers and the economy, everybody seems to be loving it.

And so am I enjoying the feel and the look in my new Nike Sneakers,

After all money is meant to be spend ....

No comments: